Thursday, March 20, 2008

What is wrong Google Groups?

-Update-
'twas me, confirming with the wrong user ID, but well it was also Google Groups, not producing an error message, when I confirmed something that I shouldn't be able to confirm :-) See more recent post. However, Andy and I had those probs a couple of weeks ago, and I had the graphical anti-spam problem yesterday.

-Original text-
Google Groups is irritating.  I sent a mail to my newly created Google Group more than 30 minutes ago.  The web interface shows the message, but it has not been sent to the members, ie my generic blogger-gmail-account.  And therefore it has not been published.

And it is not the first time.  A few weeks ago, Andy and I tried Google Groups.  One of the attractive features is the possibility to use Google Groups as the central file system for the group members.  But when Andy uploaded a file, it took quite a bit of time for me to even see it.  My uploaded files were invisible to him even after a few hours.  Similarly the messages seemed to show up with delays and where being sent to our respective email accounts with delays as well. 

Andy is quite a heavy mailing list user and admin and those quirks make it pretty much impossible for him to use Ggroups, he called it "broken".

Also, creating a group wasn't possible for at least a day, because the graphic anti-spam confirmation did not work. 

Why?  It seems to be such a standard technology and forwarding an email is done millions of times for Gmail accounts.

No comments: